About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Sunday, December 9, 2007

American Dreams *Inspired by Langston Hughes*

"I, Too" poems were written on December 5, 2007 by the 5 and 6th graders. When I originally came up with the lesson, my plan was to have students focus on form, rather than 'a specific content'. But it was clear that when we read the poem by the reaction of the students, Ms. Williams (MCLT) and the teacher (Mr. Garland) that we could have a healthy discussion on America, What it means to be an American, and go back to a past period in African American history that was important to discuss, classism, racism, and individuality (with a tinge of self worth in the mix). Even though my other classes had different lessons, I had wished I taught the same lesson in all classes. The great thing about this specific class, was hearing Mr. Garland re-interpret this poem, since he is from the South and had his own feedback regarding this particular period in AA history and listening to Ms. Williams free verse poem she wrote. It was truly inspiring.

The First poem was written by a Student who almost always talks.
But this was a well focused poem that he wrote (and it knocked me out).

I, Too
Mark W.

I, too, Am American.
I am an American
That's why I get mistreated.
My people once were slaves.

Tommorrow all of the racism
would be gone.
Black people, caucasians
will get along.
All the time.
No more slavery.
No more mistreating me.

All the same qualities.
Get to vote.
Get to have freedom.
And also to have caucasian friends.
No more
No more
I will not get mistreated by caucasians
or no more racism toward me
just because of my color.

I, Too, Am American.

Montera normally speaks and lot in class. I sometimes call her the next "Oprah" since she loves to chatter so much. But she was focused and wrote well here.

I, Too
Montera C.

I, Too, sing America.
I, Too, do something America.
I, Too, am a dark sister of America.

I, Too, can make things of myself America.
I, Too, like America.
I, Too, love my family and friends in America.

I, Too, learn America.
I, Too, act like an American.
I, Too, America.
I, Too, America.

Domonique asks great questions while composing her poems and although her hand writing is very small (and I tend to have to get my reading classes to read and type her poems, I find her work insightful).

I, Too
Domonique W.

I, Too, Sing America.
I watch my family get looked up for things, they don't do.
They stare ate me in a very vicous way.
I am successful.

I, Too, Respect blacks and whites.
I, Too, Hope never to see racism every again.
I, Too, Learn as much as the brighter sisters and brothers.

I may be the darker sister
but I am still American.
I, Too, Am America.

I hope you've enjoyed this glimpse of America through the eyes of our youth.

-- Pam Osbey

No comments: