About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Something Special about "You"

I find "I Am poems" very fun and a creative process. Throughout my life, I've written several of these in my classes with students and on my own. Often when asking students to write this type of poem it can be overwhelming or challenging if students do not have a real clear 'picture' of themselves or have some self esteem issues. Also, it's a self reflective piece. One week ago I had two classes at Reed write their own. Here are some samples from Mr. Garland's class (with 5th and 6th Graders).

Untitled
Domonique W.

I am Domonique
I am very smart and listen
I'm good while I'm in school
but while I'm home I am a goofy girl who just likes to play
I am athletic
I like to play soccer, basketball and football
I am nice

I like lots of animals especially cats
I can sense when somebody is sad
I'd like to know if the world will be the same
in the world 4000
I am very playful
I am Domonique

I like Christmas where I get lots of presents
I like Thanksgiving
My Grandma cooks lots of pies
I am very curious about things
I am in the spelling bee because I like to spell
I am Domonique

What I liked so much is her use of repetition and that she gave us snippets of her self (personality, likes, and what she wonders about in the world / in her world).

I am Nikia
Nikia M.

I am Nikia and this poem about me.
I am Nikia and I like to go shopping.
I am Nikia and I go and get my nails done.
I see my friends at the mall.
I see my Mom at her job.
I see my Dad working hard.
I see my Brother working hard for me.
I dream of stars.
I dream of my family.
I dream of my Dad and Mom.
I dream that I was stars.

Nikia's approach is slightly different whereas she writes almost in a repetitive/chanting poem format. The feel (to me) is very authentic and real.


Pam Osbey
Artist-in-Resident
Walter Reed Elementary

No comments: