About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Special Project: Walter Reed's Family Literacy Night


Under a bevy of activity and a very cold day, Walter Reed Magnut Cluster School's Family Literacy Night, kicked off on Thursday, January 24th. The night was filled with many activities for the community and the students to enjoy. The program started off with a very interactive "R U READY FOR SUCCESS" Game Show which focused on the behaviors that would be very positive for an employer to hire a person who contains successful traits of dependability, focus, and good work ethics to be hired and retained for employment. This skit was fun and relatable to adults and children alike. Other presentations in the night included tips from Ms. Johnson and Ms. Williams to parents about including great skills (reading to your child, and other literary tips to help them focus on details that will be required for the upcoming ISAT). As the Poet-In-Residence, I presented two poems, "A Big Little Girl in the City" and "Ode to Freedom". At the end of the presentations, all parents, community members and students were invited to come to break out tables. I worked the poetry corner, which basically had a station for anyone who wanted to write original poems. Some of the poems were written by parents, students, and very young readers and writers. There was not a 'theme' for the poetry corner. Rather, I would work one-on-one with writers. Several of my students from Ms. Tomlinson and Mr. Garland's class sat at my table to write poems by them selves and or their siblings. This was a very well attended event, with no seats left. I give kudos to the entire staff and Ms. Watson, the principal.

Enjoy the poems below!

My First Memory
by Anonymous
Let's take a stroll back into memory lane.
Either it's age or my memory..but it's hard to explain.

Time
Isiah K.

Time.
Time is your life.
Your time is ticking by a gunomite.
I still got my time and I'm still ticking.
Mine is not your time.
Is your head that's still ticking?
Only wanting it to like time.
Ticking when you get out of school.
Time.

Me, Myself and I
Ebonie C. (Room 204)

I'm sweet and pretty.
When I look in the mirror, I say
"I'm seeing something sweet and peaceful."
But some how it's so loud.
I just lay my head down.
I don't clown and in class I sit down.
You're so so loud!

Untitled
Timothy G. (2nd Grade)

The sky in the night is just so bright,
it has artistic flairs.
I see the moon every night
with good glares.

Love
Tyshianna J. (Room 311)

Love is in the air
that is why it is blue.
When you see me.
I see you.
Beautiful God, Oh mighty.
Mighty God.
I wish you were here to show
me what to do.
Show me the way.
Show me how to fly.
Beginning to end, my journey begins.

Little Brother
Isiah K.

I'm still under ground with my root.
He's up there, kicking his boots.
Bossing me around and put me in my room.
Like he's the sheriff.
The room is like a jail to me.
But I'm just in like my mother told me.
But it's boring to me.
So I sneak.
Tip Top...so he won't hear me.
So I got caught red handed.
I'm still his little brother.

The great thing about this special project is that it was simple and with the full participation of the parents, students, and community, it was simple. We all agreed that having books and reading is the easiest way to keep reading a priority. Reading 20 minutes a day, every day is a goal Walter Reed strives for and encourages, not only students, but parents too.

Pamela Osbey
Artist In Resident

No comments: