About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Colors, Searching and Collaborations

Wednesday's classes were a literary gumbo of diverse themes and ideas. I chose to do three different arcs of poetry lessons that would address voice, tone, form, and themes of individuality, reflections, impossible things, and colors. The 8th graders discussed Tupac's, "What Is It that I Search 4", while the 5/6 graders completed collaboration poems about strange and odd questions and answers; and the 3rd Graders used their pens to paint some colors.

Color Fiesta
Detric S. - 3rd Grader, Tomlinson Class

It's the color blue and it's my favorite color.
Like the sky is blue
and green - that's the color of a dollar
and leaves.
And red that's my sister's favorite color.
And that's the color of a rose.
And gray, that's the color shirt I got on now.
And yellow is the color of the sun.
And blue it's the color of the river.
And orange it's the color of an orange.
And white is the color of paper.
And pink is the color of yogurt.
And black is the shoes I got on now.
Clear is the color of my uncle's car.
Purpose is the color of my sister's room.
And brown is the color of my mom's car.
And the dirt and dark brown is the color a crayon
and the color of my house.

Detric is a great reciter and he normally reads his poems every class period.

Untitled Poem
Vaughn F and Pam O.

When do pigs fly?
They take Southwest Airlines to Arizona on Fridays.
What is the sky made of?
It's made of popcorn, hot sauce, orange juice and water.
How can people fly?
They sit on the wings of little flies and bees.
How many stars in the sky?
5 Million little spiders times 5,000,000,000
Can you eat a dog?
Yes, you saute his body into little pieces, it tastes just
like fried chicken...

This lesson was taken from Kenneth Koch's "Wishes, Lies and Dreams". For the most part it worked well. The lesson pairs up students to write collaborations with others and to create impossible crazy questions and answers. It's a fun activity.

Things that People Search for
Carmen E. - 8th Grader, Lapota

I know what people search for
Some search for happiness
Some search for love
Some search for a place or position in the world

I know what people search for
Some search for life
Some search for joy
Some search for a place or position in the world

I know what I search for
I search for happiness
I search for joy
I search for a good life in
the middle of the world

Carmen is a consistent writer in Lapota's class. I expect to see more great work from her and the others in the very early morning class!

Please check back weekly for more work by these students!

Pam Osbey
Artist-in-Resident


No comments: