About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Onomatopoeia Poems

The fun part of being at Walter Reed is the openness of students. Event if they don't quite know if they are writing their 'poem' right, they are open to the experience. Today's class focused on the simplicity of using words that have the element of sound, i.e, onomatopoeia. Lapota's class were very chatty but also many of the students took the poetry challenge and dived right on in to the exercise. Ms. Constance class (#204, formerly Garland) were very excited to see me as well. In the class, I asked several questions about things they love to hear, not not hear. I asked for words that had the element of soun (hiss, bam, boom, splish, splash,etc.). They were able to apply their 'brainstorming list of words to an original poem. Tomlinson's class were sooo great we had all of the students read their original poems during the reciting time. All of the students had fabulous poems that inspired me.

The Things I Hear
Shyneshia S. (Ms. Constance, 5/6 Grade)

The things I hear.
I am in the pool.
The water splash splash in my face.
Bounce bounced the ball goes to my brother
playing with his fastball.
Tap tap girls!
Jumping rope.
Roll roll
my sister is skating.
My brother jumped and the pool
splash splash
goes again in my face.
I get out and go in the
house put on some clothes
and go out the door.
I go
stomp stomp
the the girls asked
"do you want to play rope?"
and I said,"yes"
Then I go tap tap in the rope
the wind is blowing back
my wig.

A Walk
Malik W. (Ms. Constance, 5/6 Grade)

I am walking
I don't know where.
I think I heard the scratching of a bear.
"Clutch. Clutch." his claws scratching in the tree.
I walk along.
I hear a "knock. knock."
I wonder what it is.
I see it.
It's a wood pecker in a tree.
I walked pass a basketball court
"Swish. Swish."
The ball is in and the crowd cheers
"Yeah. Yeah."

Noises In the Morning
Donovan T. (Tomlinson, 3rd Grade)

In the morning
I hear
sizzle sizzle
drizzle drizzle.
It is my Mom cooking.
We are eating.
I hear
munch munch
It's Cane eating.
I hear
*ding*
the plates are
in the sink.

I Hear Noises
Keora H. (Tomlinson, 3rd Grade)

I hear the water go
splash, splash, splash.

I hear the thunder go
boom, boom, boom.

I hear the car go
honk, honk, honk.

I hear the cow go
moo, moo, moo.

I hear the horse go
nade, nade, nade.

I hear the drum go
boom, boom, boom.

I hear people go
clap, clap, clap.

I hear a baby go
wah, wah, wah.

I hear the duck go
quack, quack, quack.

I hear kids talking I go
shhh, shhh, shhh!

I hear the dog go
bark, bark, bark.

I hear the cat go
meow, meow, meow.

Untitled
Danielle S. (Lapota, 8th Grade)

Running down the court
tic toc tic toc
the clock is ticking
time is almost up.

Swish!
The ball is in.
The time is up.

Yaaaaay everyone screams.
Thump, thump, thump...
Stomping I hear
1 ... 2....3
Yaaaaaay
They rise starting for joy.

Finally the game is over.
Boom boom boom boom boom.
The crowd is running to the center
Pop a needle is being pushed through the balloon.
Picking me up out of the air
and I feel like a winner.

!HAY I AM A WINNER!

Untitled
Lashawn R. (Lapota, 8th Grade)

I hear the mustang.
The motor was rumbling.
The motor was like zoom zoom.
Zoom.
Down the block fast as it go.

I tried to run down the street to
look but it was so fast.
I wet my foot in a puddle nearby.
Down the street it goes still leaving me behind.

I finally got tired and stopped
and put my hands on my head to get
some wind.
The care still burning..
rubber still going like scrrrrrrr!
Leaving me behind.

Untitled
Steven R. (Lapota, 8th Grade)

As I throw the freesbie.
It went 'swoosh' through the air.
As I heard the tick tock of the clock.
As I heard the 'vroom vroom' I noticed
a car racing up the street.
As I watched the sunset I heard the
birds chirping and singing as the
day ended.




No comments: